Categories

Technology (28) Geek (20) Sports (20) Movies / TV (16) Fun (15) Montreal (11) Food (9) Games (9) Travel (6) Museums (3)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Marvel Comics Android App


Being a huge Marvel fan (I am a proud owner of X-Men issues #1-50 from the '90s), I downloaded the newly released Marvel Comics Android App. In the past I tried to read documents on my Android and although doable, the experience was not great. I had to scroll across every line when I made the text big enough to be legible and this proved to be a turn off (also, images in ppt didn't show up for me). In the spirit of trying new things, I got this app and it was nice to see that there were a few free issues for me to test out, one of which was Astonishing X-Men #1, cool.



 
Astonishing X-Men #1 (Left) & Marvel App Menu (Right)

The app is powered by comiXology and seemed intuitive enough. The only issues are that some panels seem to be randomly skipped when you swipe and I suspect unusual arrangements of panels in certain instances to be the culprit. Also, there are times when you have to rotate your mobile vertically to horizontally depending on the orientation of the panel to get a better view.

     
Sentinels! (Left) The X-Men: Shadowcat, Beast, Cyclops, Wolverine, White Queen

Overall, it was a great read during my subway ride home. I seemed to zoom through an issue a lot quicker than I remember doing back in the day but I think there are less pages and definitely less text as well.

I give props to Marvel for making the app available for the Android Platform and I encourage you to try it out. As a side note, here is a comic that I created the plot for and co-edited (Sean Jara and Grant Sauve were the writers who expanded upon and crafted the text you see in the comic), a few years back when I worked in toyland.



No comments:

Post a Comment